- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds lean stew beef
- 2 slices of bacon
- 8 carrots, sliced thin
- 6 medium potatoes, sliced thin
- 2 apples, chopped Cortland or Northern Spy works well
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cups fresh apple cider
- Start by taking a saute pan and cooking up 2 slices of
- Remove the bacon and pat dry with paper towel.
- Reserve bacon fat and saute the beef and chopped onion in this fat.
- Pat the beef dry and add to crock pot with remaining vegetables and apple
- Stir to mix, cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Thicken juices with a flour and cold water mixture – about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons flour and 2 tablespoons water.